What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and
why?
Research on Bauer
Bauer publishes a wide range of magazine topics, such as music (Q, Kerrang! and Mojo) gossip (like Closer, Heat and Grazia) and hobby topics (for example Model Rail, Practical Photography and ClassicBike). All except Closer are over 50% of ABC1, showing that the people who purchase these magazines are rather affluent and earn a lot of money to be able to buy these on a regular basis.
Heat is a celebrity gossip magazine which is closely linked with
my target audience, as I have tried to portray the same age range (of around
15-24) and I am aiming it at women. It was going to be aimed at both genders,
however when producing my magazine, I realised that it was a more female headed
product, thus I have decided to change the target audience of Beauty&Beat. Heat also have a 58.6% ABC1 profile, which is what I was targeting my reader to
be.
Kerrang!’s readers are 56.1% in the age range of 15-24 year olds, which is a little below what I would like mine to be because I believe that my
target audience is majorly within this section and that not many people above
this age will read Beauty&Beat. The gender readership is very close, 45.3%
being female and 54.7% male, whereas I am targeting mine (now) to be more
female based due to the magazine name, artist who appears on the cover and the
colour scheme on the cover and throughout, as it appears to be very female
based. The ABC1 profile is also quite low, at 51%, whereas I would like to be a
little higher with Beauty&Beat.
Q is the magazine that is linked closest to mine out of Kerrang!. Although 68.3% of readers are male and this is the opposite gender to who I am aiming my magazine at, this is the percentage of women that I would like to read Beauty&Beat, as I believe that it will be mostly women who will read it. Comparing Q to Mojo and Kerrang!, it They also have a high percentage of readers within the 15-24 zone (35.5%) and I believe this links well to my magazine due to the fact that this is the main age range I am targeting. There is also a high ABC1 rate of 70%, which is around the same percentage as I am aiming for. Although my target audience is aimed at females rather than males, this magazine is closely linked with Beauty&Beat.
Research on TimeInc
TimeInc publish a wide range of magazine genres, such as music (Uncut, NME) Fashion (Essence, Look) and sports (Horse&Hound, World Soccer). In September 2014, TimeInc took over the previously known IPC.
Essence is a fashion magazine with a median age of 41, which is a
lot higher than the age range I was aiming for within my magazine. The highest
percentage (37%) is the age range of 18-34, which is a big age range. I was
unable to find any more about this magazine/any of the magazines that TimeInc
publish, so it is hard to find the media packs for the magazines published by
this institution.
NME is a music magazine has an ABC1
profile of 47%, which is rather low (if connecting to my magazine). This
suggests that the people who buy the magazine are not too well off and do not
earn a major amount of money. The median age of people who read NME is 25,
which is a little high compared to Beauty&Beat because I have aimed my
magazine at 15 year olds and over. There is a 63% male readership, whereas I am
targeting this magazine mostly at women. NME’s house style contains the colour
red, which is why this magazine is aimed at men, as red is a very masculine
colour, whereas I use pink a lot throughout my page, thus this is why I am
targeting Beauty&Beat at females.



No comments:
Post a Comment